Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Adam Watson Interview Part III

Part III

W/I C: Lets switch gears a bit and discuss your history with comics. When did your love affair with comics begin? What was your first funny book?

Watson: My love affair with comics first began around the time my parents divorced when I was eight-years-old. My dad was a truck driver and would buy them for me to read when I was along for the entire day.

The first comic I remember ever buying was Willow #1. On a side note, I really, really hate the term “funny books”.

W/I C: (Laughs.)

Watson: I first picked up Willow, not for my love of comic books but because I really really love Willow!”

W/I C: Have you read the Chris Claremont novels?

Watson: No. I own them but haven’t gotten to them yet. You need a lot of time to read anything Claremont writes. (Laughs)

W/I C: How long had you though about doing comics before you began dabbling?

Watson: The thought had been in my mind since I was about twelve years old. But I didn’t start writing scripts til I was about 21.

W/I C: Many of us who proudly proclaim our geekhood or discretely hide it in our parents’ attic or basement found something in comic books that we didn’t have in real life. Could you share with us how comics have influenced your childhood and adult life?

Watson: Comics helped me escape from the reality of my parents’ divorce, which is probably why they were so appealing to me in the first place. Besides giving me a mild case of OCD it’s hard to pinpoint exact things it’s done for me. I’ve certainly made a lot of good friends I may not have met other wise.

And I’ve always been an out of the closet geek.

W/I C: You’ve talked a lot about the cost of producing your books. As the writer you have to hire your artists. For other writers out there who want to tell their stories in graphic form could you tell us how you find your artists?

Watson: The easiest way I found is through the talent search on Digital Webbing or by befriending one through a show or through some one you know.

W/I C: You met your artist for El Bovine Muerte, Nick Larsen through your wife, is that correct?

Watson: They had been lifetime friends. She told me he wanted to get into comics and he should talk to me.

W/I C: What did you have him submit to you before you choose him for the web comic?

Watson: I had him do character designs for Diary of a Deadman (2011?)

W/I C: Could you share your best/worst experience with hired help?

My worst… I prefer to keep that private; I don’t air such things publicly.

It’s hard to narrow down [my best] I’ve worked with a multitude of great talent.

W/I C: What would your advice be for those considering hiring help?

Watson: Make sure you have enough money to do it. It is very expensive to do correctly. Save your money, budget wisely and don’t skimp on quality. It can be a great process when done correctly but a horrendously bad one if you go into it blindly.

W/I C: Have you seen a decline in sales during these harsh economic times?

Watson: Online, yes. At conventions, not as much but I’ve scaled down the amout of cons I’ve gone to comparatively to last year. The comic world seems to have it’s own economy. Which has certainly been hit but luckily I think people still need their escapism.

W/I C: Has the countries economic crisis affected you and your family?

Watson: No. In fact we are making more money now that we have before. But in the long run who can tell.

W/I C: Who had the greatest influence on your career and are there any comic stars you would call yourself a fan of?

Watson: Oh, plenty! The writer I most look up to is Garth Ennis. My comic hero is Jeff Smith. I’m also a big fan of Warren Ellis; Kurt Busiek; Gail Simone; Fabian Nicieza; the list goes on and on. When I met Nicieza at a con I was 13-years-old. I had some sort of weird overwhelming thing occur that wouldn’t let me speak.

How do you recharge your creativity?

My mind is constantly going. I can’t ever seem to shut the damn thing off. Usually going to the movies or strip club works but even then I have the occasional story idea or business idea pop into my head.

I’m probably one of the few comic creators who have done networking at strip clubs.

W/I C: Can you tell us a bit about your writing habits?

Watson: My habits are sporadic. Somedays I’ll write for five hours straight. Then sometimes I’ll go weeks without working on a thing. I’m nowhere near as disciplined as my good buddy Alan [Bennett]. However, I’m always thinking of new marketing and business strategies. So even when I’m not writing I’m working on the company in one fashion or another.

W/I C: When it comes to spreading to spreading the gospel of Darkslinger Comics, you use the web like a dirty little whore. Can you tell us why you believe this is so important for indie creators?

Watson: It’s the easiest way tot get seen for free! If a prostitute ever offers you a freebie should you ever say no? (Laughs) Besides I’ve never heard of any one getting syphilis from using thee Internet.

W/I C: Is it true you have groupies?

Watson: Define groupies.

W/I C: What is the Darkslinger Mafia?

Watson: It is the official street team of Darkslinger Comics. It’s’ my creators, my fans, and anyone who will drop my companies name to a comic nerd. Think the kiss army divided by a million.

W/I C: Groovy. K, got a couple more. If re-incarnation exists what animal would you like to come back as?

Watson: A wolverine. They are clumsy and not very talented but through shear meanness they get the job done, damnit!

W/I C: Last one, if you could live in any comic universe beyond your own, which would it be?

Watson: Any? The Eros Universe.

W/I C: (Laughs.) Okay, okay. Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Well that is the end of our interview with Darkslinger Comics’ creator, Adam Watson. Don’t forget to visit us again next Monday when our interview with enigmatic Tony Morgan the author and artist behind The Chicken Leg Bone Boy will be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment