Monday, November 9, 2009

Adam Watson Interview Part I

Subject: Adam Watson

Company: Darkslinger Comics

Published Works: Ghost Assassin: Prelude and Origin, The Pauper: #1 Rough Cut

Upcoming Projects: The Chronicles of Van Helsing; El Bovine Morte; Ghost Assassin mini series and The Pauper mini series

Website(s): www.darkslinger.com


I first met Adam Watson at the 2008 Olympia Comic Festival. My first impression: who is this freak? I soon found out and to my surprise we quickly bonded becoming fast friends. I caught up with Watson at his new home to find out what makes him one of the hardest working men in the independent comics world. I found him surprisingly humble and almost diplomatic saying of my claim, “I wouldn’t say I am. That’s a bold statement.”

W/I C: Fans have said, “…you are the comic industry.” How do you respond to that?

Watson: I heard it twice in Olympia [referring to the Olympia Comic Festival Watson has attended for three years in a row now]. My response. I’d like to know if I exemplify what the industry should be like or if they see me everywhere so they associate me with the industry.

W/I C: You’ve also been called a marketing genius by your peers could you tell us just how big of a marketing whore are you?

Watson: The biggest whore there is! (Laughs) I never turn down shows or signings unless I can’t afford it. My fellow comic creators have called me a marketing genius. Lucky for them I share my ideas.

W/I C: How important is marketing?

Watson: Exceedingly important. If they don’t see you out there they think you don’t work anymore. Getting your work seen is “the” most important thing in becoming a creator be seen wherever you can.

W/I C: When you talk about your books you more than not express your ambitions for expanding into toys, clothes, cards and even movies. What makes you think your ambitions will see the light of day?

Watson: The quality of my products. I believe the stories I’m creating would easily translate to other mediums. I believe the types of stories are the kind people would enjoy seeing playing video games playing with action figures. If Marvel can have ten thousand action figures of Wolverine why can’t I have one of Robert Van Helsing? However, if it never extends beyond comics, that’s perfectly find with me. Comics are my first love.

W/I C: Does the quality of the stories you write set you apart from your peers?

Watson: No. I have several friends on the indie level that are the same level I am. However, I would say the question of what I turn out is superior to what it should be for the amount of time I’ve been in the industry.”

W/I C: What products do you bring with you besides books?

Watson: Give away postcards, posters; this year I will be incorporating temporary tattoos, buttons and designer vinyls.

W/I C: I was on a fan site some time ago and saw someone say Elijah Wood was considering playing Todd in a Ghost Assassin movie. Is there any truth to this? Has Hollywood ever contacted you?

Watson: Hollywood has contacted me, but nothing has ever come of it. As far as I know their where no actors ever discussed.

W/I C: Awesome!

Check back here tomorrow for Part II! I will also add the promised exclusive preview from Darkslinger comics upcoming projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment